Early yesterday morning the world lost one of the great icons of music. The “At Last” singer Etta James passed away at 73 in a community hospital in Riverside, California of complications of leukemia. Her family was at her bedside. Here are some excerpts from Concreteloop.com :
“Powerhouse singer Etta James has died at the age of 73 in a Riverside, California, hospital, her friend and manager Lupe De Leon announced. The six-time Grammy winner was diagnosed with leukemia in 2010 and also reportedly suffered from dementia and hepatitis C.
Born Jamesetta Hawkins in Los Angeles to a then 14-year-old mother, Dorothy Hawkins, she began singing at the age of five with the choir at St. Paul Baptist Church and was raised by a number of individuals before she and her mother relocated to San Francisco in 1950. At fourteen, she formed the girl group the Creolettes, which were signed to Modern Records before changing their name to the Peaches, where she established her stage name of Etta James.
James is survived by her husband, Artis Mills, and two sons, Donto and Sametto, who both began performing with their mother in 2003″.
The world will be miss her greatly. She helped to open the doors to alot of the music artist we listen to today and in the last 30 years. I know I feel the loss. Rest in peace Etta. And thank you for your music and all you gave to the world. We’ll see you in heaven when we get there.
- Etta James Dies At 73 (beatcrave.com)
- Etta James Dies at 73 | Etta James, RIP : Just Jared (thehiltonburnellfiles.wordpress.com)
- Legendary Soul Singer Etta James Passes Away (djivreal.com)
- Etta James Dead at 73 (heloise8.wordpress.com)
- Etta James Dead At 73 (livelyindepthmusicent.com)
- Beyonce Remembers Etta James (thehiltonburnellfiles.wordpress.com)
- Beyonce Remembers Etta James (justjared.buzznet.com)
- Etta James Dies at 73 (therogersrevue.wordpress.com)
- Blues Legend Etta James Dies at 73 (worldaccordingtomonte.com)
- Etta James Dies at 73 (villagebuzz.com)